©twocats-miaow

a blog in the English language especially for my English speaking friends all over the world. This Blog is best viewed in a Mozilla Browser. For some strange reason, Internet Explorer is messing up my site. If you scroll down, you can read the blogs I already wrote. Thank you ;)

Friday, September 16, 2005

Transfusion at home

Last wednesday I went to the hospital for my check up. I was very anxious cause today we will discuss the possibility of bloodtransfusion at home. Earlier this year I gathered some information about this subject and was informing my hematologist about it. I know that in some parts of the country this is already done, and even some hospitals in Amsterdam are doing this quite some time, but my Hospital is not familiar with it. Time for me to take the first step ;)

I will have the transfusion at Peggy's house, she is nice company to spent the day with ;) and there are enough back ups if something goes wrong. We just have to call a friendly neighbour or family to take us to the hospital if thinks go bad.
We just have to askPeg's GP if he want to be standby.


I learned that there is a specialized team to do this. They collect the checked packed cells from the bloodbank, and bring the needed antidote incase of an allergic reaction. They'll take everything to my house and connect the infjsionline to my port a cath. When they've done the necessary check ups, they leave to see the next patient. When the blood has dripped in, they remove the needle and take the empty bags back to the bloodbank.

To bad that I have to wait for the next transfusion to come :(
There are some legal aspects that must taking care of. The chief of the bloodbank and the head of the Hematologist ward will have to give their permission and then everything will be okay and we can start ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Lissie78 said...

Hi Jackie

I really like your blog. The transfusions at home sound interesting, and I bet they'll be more comfortable than the hospital.

Have great weekend!

Lissie
dba21

Saturday, September 17, 2005 3:29:00 am  
Blogger Ja©kie said...

@ anonymous: How nice of you to leave a comment. It's fun to stumble upon logs. That way you may find some intresting things.

You're always welcome to come back ;)

@lissie: Hiya Lissie,
What suprise you commenting on my log. I still found it difficult to write in English, always afraid that I use the wrong words or phrases. I keep practising.
I am really looking forward to have my transfusion at home. No more oncology ward to go to. I wonder if your hospital will start this to. Maybe you should suggest it to them. It's cheaper for them and you save them a bed. For you it's much more convenient. No longer a travel to the hospital when you're worned out. Less stress.

thanks for your nice comment ;)

Saturday, September 17, 2005 5:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home